Fiction Core Collection
Fiction Core Collection (2016)
Fiction Core Collection (2014)
Fiction Core Collection (2010)
- Related Products
H.W. Wilson’s Fiction Core Collection (18th Edition, 2016) provides the busy librarian with expert collection development advice on the most highly recommended works of classic and contemporary fiction. Over 8,500 titles are included—all are popular works deemed to have lasting value to readers as well as new literary and genre titles that have been recognized as significant achievements in their respected areas of literature.
Fiction Core Collection is designed to help librarians make the best of theirfiction collection.
- Title Selection & Purchasing
- Readers’ Advisory Support
- Cataloging Support
- Collection Development & Maintenance
Entries are arranged by last name of the author. This arrangement allows librarians to literally walk their shelves with Fiction Core Collection in-hand. This makes easy work of noting titles that should be added to their collection, or to pull titles that are candidates for weeding.
Immediate access to 8,500 recommended titles
Each of the 8,500+ entries includes a full bibliographical description, with detailed information about publisher, date of publication, paging, price, ISBN, and Library of Congress control number, plus notes regarding sequels and publication history. Entries include a helpful and informative descriptive abstract, and excerpts from review sources including Library Journal, Booklist, Kirkus, and Publishers Weekly.
“Most Highly Recommended” titles within subject areas are easily identified with a starred listing. This makes it easy to find the best of the best within a particular subject area.
- Title & Subject Index. Works are indexed by title, followed by the name of the author. Plus, this index also organizes titles by subject, genre, form, and literary technique. Whether you’re looking for Adventure, Allegories, or Ambition, the thousands of subject and genre headings simplifies locating specific titles. This access is one of the Collection’s most important features and is especially valued by readers’ advisors.
- Name Index. Works are listed by author name and pseudonyms. This list is included as a separate index for ease of reference, readers’ advisory, and display creation.
It has been two years since the last edition, so this new update is a must-have source for collection development for fiction collections of all sizes. Thousands of titles have been added to this new edition—any library owning the previous edition will want to update to get access to these new titles.
Given the high demand for new fiction titles in libraries, this volume helps filter through the thousands of titles published each year, so that librarians can be assured that they are selecting the best for their patrons. The Fiction Core Collection is an essential resource for library and media specialists, and an excellent, handy tool for collection development, and readers’ advisory services. No library should be without the helpful guidance that Core Collections can provide.